Online shopping is very popular, but in order to protect your card data online, bear in mind the following safety recommendations:
- make sure the contact section of the online store indicates the merchant’s address, contact information, legal name, and registration number – verify the conformity of details;
- verify whether the description of items, purchase, settlement currency, shipment and return terms are clear and understandable;
- verify whether there are no negative reviews or reports of fraud regarding the online store – particular attention should be paid to offers that are much cheaper than similar offers elsewhere – most often such “great” deals appear on social networks;
- verify whether lotteries promising to win a smartphone or other valuable items by filling in a questionnaire do NOT ask you to indicate your card number, as most often these cases result in subscription to unnecessary services for which you will be charged a fee;
- whether free trial period of antivirus or other software is offered for 7-14-30 or more days – after this period ends, a subscription fee can be automatically charged – always remember to cancel subscriptions to unnecessary software or services in time;
- always be careful with tempting offers of quick and safe profit by investing money in currency/share/options etc. trading platforms – ‘helpful’ callers will assist you in installing the necessary software on your computer and creating a virtual account, and will instruct you on how to credit funds to it from your card or with money transfer. At best, you will see your money only in your virtual account, or it will disappear in several clicks after you will start trading. It is not without reason that these platforms warn users to risk only with the amount that they are not afraid to lose.
Remember the following data safety guidelines:
- Set spending limits for your card – it can be easily done in the Internet Bank;
- Always log out of payment systems, payment sites or applications where authentication was required for conducting transactions;
- Use secure passwords (upper and lower case letters, figures, and symbols). Do not use the same password for social networks, e-mail, Internet Bank;
- Do not disclose your passwords, PIN codes, as well as user name for internet bank to anyone, do not write them down in unencrypted form;
- Save phone numbers of the bank both for calls from Latvia and abroad in your phone to be able to contact the bank in urgent situations;
- Immediately call the bank at any time of day to block your card, in case it is lost, stolen or retained by ATM;
- The bank will never send you an email or an SMS, asking you to disclose your password or any other personal information.